Frequently Asked Questions

Yes- Under Section 29A of the Building Act 1993, consent is required before a demolition permit for demolition is issued for:

  • Demolishing 100% of a building
  • Demolishing more than half of the volume of the original building over a 3-year period
  • Demolishing any part of the facade of a building.

Merhi Group apply for your Section 29A-Consent to Demolish on your behalf, and it is included in our quoted price. Response from Council can take from 15-20 business days

An asset protection permit and bond is required to protect roads, drains, nature strips, kerbs, footpaths, and vehicle crossings from any damage during demolition and building works. Prior to commencing demolition your council will contact you to obtain an “Asset Protection Permit”. You will also be required to pay an “Asset Protection Bond”. Your local council will hold the bond for the duration of the project and will refund the bond once all building works are completed.

Once the property is vacant you can apply for the abolishment’s.

For electricity abolishment you will require your- 11-digit NMI, or National Meter Identifier. It is a unique number for your home or business. You’ll find the NMI on the electricity bill for that property. The NMI may be on the front of the first or second page of your bill.

You will also require.

For Gas abolishment you will Meter Identification Reference Number (MIRN).

Your MIRN can be found on your gas bill and can also be found on your gas meter.

No, Water is required for the demolition process to assist with dust suppression

Yes. Victorian building regulations and councils require that temporary safety fencing is erected around any demolition site prior to demolition commencing and for the duration. Temporary fencing must be (1.8 metres high)

It is the owner of the property’s responsibility. Merhi Group can recommend a supplier.

No. Merhi Group employ a Worksafe Victoria Licenced Asbestos Removalist who will safely remove the asbestos before demolition commences. We transport the asbestos in our EPA registered vehicle and dispose of it at an EPA approved waste station.

We comply with the Victorian OHS Act 2004 and OHS Regulations 2017.

Depending on the size of the house/property it can take anything from 3-5 days

Free Quote